Complete the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the first using between two and five words including the word given.
1. I hate it when people interrupt me when I’m working. STAND
I _________________________________________ me when I’m working.
2. It worries me that I’ll arrive late for the rehearsal. TIME
I’m worried about not __________________________________ for the rehearsal.
3. At school I found it impossible to remember mathematical formulae. GOOD
At school I was _________________________________ mathematical formulae.
4. I’ve told John I’ll meet him outside the pub. ARRANGED
I ___________________________________________ outside the pub.
5. They didn’t have enough money to go on holiday last year. AFFORD
They _________________________________________ on holiday last year.
6. My nephew lost his job six months ago. UNEMPLOYED
My nephew ______________________________________ six months.
7. Having peeled the carrots, he added them to the stew. WHEN
He added the carrots to the stew _______________________________ them.
8. I last saw Sonia a week ago. SINCE
I have __________________________________ week.
9. After locking the door of her office, she left. UNTIL
She didn’t _________________________________________ the door of her office.
10. I haven’t enjoyed myself so much for a long time. AGES
It _____________________________________________ enjoyed myself so much.
11. She felt excited and nervous when she arrived at the station. ARRIVAL
Apart from _____________________________________ at the station, she also felt nervous.
12. It wasn’t difficult to book the tickets online, which surprised me. SURPRISINGLY
It was ___________________________________ book the tickets online.
13. I was really looking forward to getting back to school. WAIT
I _____________________________________________ back to school.
14. Joanne recovered from her grief eventually. TOOK
It __________________________________________ to recover from her grief.
15. I was tired but otherwise none the worse for the experience. FEELING
Apart _______________________________________ , I was none the worse for the experience.
16. News International bought Myspace in 2003. TAKEN
In 2007, Myspace _________________________________ News International.
1. can’t stand people interrupting
2. arriving on time
3. no good at remembering
4. have arranged to meet John
5. couldn’t afford to go
6. has been unemployed for
7. when he had peeled
8. not seen Sonia since last
9. leave until she had locked
10. is ages since I (have)
11. feeling excited on (her) arrival
12. surprisingly easy to
13. couldn’t wait to get
14. took Joanne some / a long time
15. from feeling tired
16. was taken over by