Friday 30 March 2012

TRANSFORMATIONS 3


 Complete the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the first using between two and five words including the word given.

1. I hate it when people interrupt me when I’m working. STAND

I _________________________________________ me when I’m working.

2. It worries me that I’ll arrive late for the rehearsal. TIME

I’m worried about not __________________________________ for the rehearsal.

3. At school I found it impossible to remember mathematical formulae. GOOD

At school I was _________________________________ mathematical formulae.

4. I’ve told John I’ll meet him outside the pub. ARRANGED

I ___________________________________________ outside the pub.

5. They didn’t have enough money to go on holiday last year. AFFORD

They _________________________________________ on holiday last year.

6. My nephew lost his job six months ago. UNEMPLOYED

My nephew ______________________________________ six months.

7. Having peeled the carrots, he added them to the stew. WHEN

He added the carrots to the stew _______________________________ them.

8. I last saw Sonia a week ago. SINCE

I have __________________________________ week.

9. After locking the door of her office, she left. UNTIL

She didn’t _________________________________________ the door of her office.

10. I haven’t enjoyed myself so much for a long time. AGES

It _____________________________________________ enjoyed myself so much.

11. She felt excited and nervous when she arrived at the station. ARRIVAL

Apart from _____________________________________ at the station, she also felt nervous.

12. It wasn’t difficult to book the tickets online, which surprised me. SURPRISINGLY

It was ___________________________________ book the tickets online.

13. I was really looking forward to getting back to school. WAIT

I _____________________________________________ back to school.

14. Joanne recovered from her grief eventually. TOOK

It __________________________________________ to recover from her grief.

15. I was tired but otherwise none the worse for the experience. FEELING

Apart _______________________________________ , I was none the worse for the experience.

16. News International bought Myspace in 2003. TAKEN

In 2007, Myspace _________________________________ News International.



KEY



 1. can’t stand people interrupting

2. arriving on time

3. no good at remembering

4. have arranged to meet John

5. couldn’t afford to go

6. has been unemployed for

7. when he had peeled

8. not seen Sonia since last

9. leave until she had locked

10. is ages since I (have)

11. feeling excited on (her) arrival

12. surprisingly easy to

13. couldn’t wait to get

14. took Joanne some / a long time

15. from feeling tired

16. was taken over by

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.