Complete the second sentence so it has a similar meaning to the first using between two and five words including the word given.
1. They arrested Rooney because he had vandalized a telephone box. VANDALISING
Rooney ________________________________________ a telephone box.
2. Luka said he was successful because of his ambition. OWED
Luka said ______________________________________ his ambition.
3. I’m almost sure Steve heard what I said. HAVE
Steve __________________________________ what I said.
4. Maybe Ted didn’t want to see the film. NOT
Ted ___________________________ to see the film.
5. Elderly people need to keep busy. THE
It’s important ________________________ busy.
6. The concert was very popular so they’re going to put it on again. SUCH
It _________________________________ that they’re going to put it on again.
7. I didn’t answer the doorbell because I didn’t know it was you. HAD
If I _____________________________________ I would have answered the doorbell.
8. Sam regrets losing his temper with his girlfriend. WISHES
Sam ________________________________ his temper with his girlfriend.
9. You are interrupting me! It gets on my nerves! WISH
I _______________________________ me! It gets on my nerves!
10. I really think we should leave now or we’ll be late. WE
It’s time _______________________ or we’ll be late.
11. I’d prefer you not to tell Jack about this. RATHER
I’d ____________________________________ Jack about this.
I wish _______________________________ on holiday this year.
13. I regret telling Joe about the argument. ONLY
If ______________________________________ Joe about the argument.
1. was arrested for vandalizing
2. he owed his success to
3. must have heard
4. may not / might not have wanted
5. for the elderly to keep / that the elderly keep
6. was such a popular concert
7. had known it was you
8 wishes he hadn’t lost
9. wish you wouldn’t interrupt / keep interrupting
10. we left
11. rather you didn’t tell
12. I could afford to go
13. only I hadn’t told