14. Swimming in that lake is dangerous. SAFE
It ____________________________________ in that lake.
15. Although he’s ninety, he still lives on his own. DESPITE
He still lives on his own ________________________________ ninety.
16. I can’t understand why he is so fascinated by celebrities . FASCINATION
I can’t understand ______________________________ celebrities.
17. They have spent a lot of time and effort on renovating their premises. DEAL
A ___________________________________ time and effort has been spent on renovating their premises.
18. Lorries are banned from the city centre. BAN
There is ___________________________________ in the city centre.
19. Everyone contributes to global warming. CONTRIBUTION
Everyone ______________________________________ global warming.
20. I have no sympathy for people who complain about tax rises. SYMPATHISE
I ________________________________________ people who complain about tax rises.
21. Some people don’t seem able to change their behavior. INCAPABLE
Some people seem to _________________________________ their behavior.
22. Switching off your computer at night can save you 20% on your energy bill. RESULT
Switching off your television at night can ____________________________________ 20% on your energy bill.
23. The environment can be negatively affected by factory farming. EFFECT
Factory farming can _________________________________ the environment.
24. People are angry about plans to build a new incinerator. ANGER
There ________________________________ plans to build a new incinerator.
25. If I’m not doing something useful, I feel I’m wasting my time. UNLESS
I feel I’m wasting my time ______________________________ something useful.
26. You will be instructed on how to use the program. GIVEN
You ______________________________________ on how to use the program.
27. We’re arranged for our dishwasher to be repaired next week. HAVING
We _______________________________________ next week.
28. Tourists in Japan come from many different countries. OVER
Tourists in Japan come from _________________________ world.
14. isn’t safe to swim
15. despite being
16. his fascination with
17. good / great deal of
18. a ban on lorries
19. makes a contribution to
20. don’t sympathise with
21. be incapable of changing
22. result in a saving of / result in (you/your) saving
23. have a negative effect on24. is (public) anger over / abo